Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sun & Snow

art by Sandy Glynn

The following is a story from my mother that accompanies the above sketch -- this is a small excerpt from the memoir I am completing about my mother, who was a race horse trainer. Before she became one of the first women to be licensed as an NYRA trainer in 1975, my mother galloped scores of horses for Hall of Fame trainers such as Allen Jerkins and Elliot Burch.

Sun & Snow was a small 2 year old gray filly that belonged to C.V. Whitney. She was a very good filly, although over-matched when she ran against Ruffian. Once morning I was breezing her at Belmont. We were approaching the 3/8 pole all out when a flock of pigeons flew up towards us. I was frightened, expecting her to spook and perhaps hurt herself. She never blinked an eye slamming into the birds, killing several of them in her wake.

No comments: