Thursday, April 1, 2010

Fortune . . .

At least I am not that poor guy who has been wearing the greenish Lady Liberty suit and marching up and down Churton Street since January. He carries a sign saying Honk If You Love Liberty. That’s Liberty Tax Services, the store front that looms behind him as he waves to passers-by. His costume is getting dingier and dingier and the spikes of his crown droop now. I tell myself when I drive past him every day, tempted to honk, just because it might cheer him to think that someone is paying attention to him, that at least I am not him, but I don’t honk. And besides April 15th is coming, his days as Mr. Liberty are numbered.

2 comments:

Robert said...

I just passed by an identically costumed guy here, and as you say, that's getting to be one forlorn-looking outfit.

Maybe it's apropos of nothing, but a fellow who for 20 years has stood on a corner near here selling roses died yesterday.

wolfy said...

i think that's apropos of everything to lose the rose man . . .