Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Turkish Delight

The day before the war began
I found a beautiful green box
of Turkish Delight
The photo on the box
boasted a silver platter strewn
with pistachios and the delightful sweets
contained inside
I opened the box
and spread open the tissue paper
to find a generous pile of the pink
and sugared candies
The powdered sugar rose
in a little delicate cloud
that touched my lips and nose
Sweet like nothing sweet
I picked a candy
and felt its soft give to my fingers
I gladly inspected its sugared skin
and its glacene middle.
I ate the candy,
and realized that I had never
had a Turkish Delight.
I had no idea up until that little moment
what a Turkish Delight was.
It melted and broke in my mouth.
It made me want to lie down and
eat another.
Turkish Delight
Turkish Delight
I closed the box.
I decided to save the rest for later.

-- May, 2002

No comments: