Friday, September 9, 2011

Here's Soap In Yer Eye . . .

Have you ever had one of those years?

Well, i'm having one this year . . .

and then today, just when i think things might be going my way, when the tide might be turning, i get soap in my eye - i'm washing my face with a new face wash that agrees with my ruddy excitable Irish skin and damn if don't manage to let a good glob of it run straight into my right eye and i've gotten stuff in my eyes before - shampoo, mustard (don't ask), chili pepper, horse liniment, nail polish (i was nine when that happened, my grandmother questioned my fitness to live over that one), but this soap was a unique experience in pain and i wondered as i flushed and flushed and flushed if this might be it - the end of my right eye, the one that is just as green with the gold ring around the pupil as the left, the one that has the astigmatism that is getting progressively worse now that i'm over forty-oof, over forty-five!

but, the pain is only slight now, and the tearing has subsided . . . just another mishap in a long year of mishaps.

"Do not try," says the sage, "Do not try . . . "

No comments: