Friday, September 28, 2012

The Adventures of Ellie Starr - Part One


i can't tell you how long i been here, but i can tell you it's important to pay attention every day, cause there sure is a whole lot that goes on. i used to live under the dogwood tree near the garage, that was a long time ago, when it was real cold, and the girl would come out in the dark, under the stars, with a flashlight, and she'd give me leftovers from her dinner, "I saved this for you Ellie Starr . . . " and she'd put it in my bowl and sometimes it would be a piece of pizza or some turkey tetrazzini  or macaroni and cheese, but there was one night, one splendid night when she brought me a turkey leg, that night she said, "Happy Thanksgiving Ellie Starr, sleep tight . . . " But one night it was raining, real hard, and she came out, under an umbrella, and just when she was about to hand over half a cheeseburger, the man came to the door, "Valerie! Valerie Starr! Your brother told me you been feedin' Ellie, get back in here, Valerie Starr!" So the girl didn't come anymore, and not long after that, they moved me back near the old Mustang that's up on blocks, the one the boy says he's going to fix up before he goes to college, but all i ever seen him do is show it to that boy with the lazy eye and the acne on his chin - he shakes his head and says, "Man, that car was your dad's? No way your dad was that cool." Only the woman, who is always kind, comes with my portions now, and says things like, "Here's you kibble Ellie Christmas Starr . . . " and you know, most of the time she doesn't stay to watch me eat, she might pick up my water bucket and take it to the garage and fill it up, and bring it back, and say, "Oh Christmas! You're done already?" And then she gets in the big car and drives away and that's when the day really begins . . .

1 comment:

thepoorwayfarer said...

I honestly, honestly wish I could write like you. I have some talent, I know, but not your gift for rhythm and word choice.