Monday, December 3, 2012

Throw

Just so you know, Wolfy does not throw like a girl. Or hit a ball with a bat like a girl. This is a skill that came late in life, much to Wolfy's surprise. She went to her nephew's birthday party a few years back and they had one of those pitching machines and all the dads and the boys were hitting the balls, so my husband jokes, why don't you get up there and hit a ball? And a horrible flashback of Junior High came to me and I hesitated but then I put down the half eaten piece of birthday cake and I sauntered over and asked one of the dads for the bat, he looked at me just like the boys looked at me all those years ago, and well, I told him to get out of the way, and I took a stance that was as stance like as I could take and the pitching machine whirred and spit out a spit ball or a curve ball or something like that and I swung and hit the ball so hard it went over the trees and into the neighbor's yard and the boys all went WOW and the dad's went SHIT and my husband smiled and said, Where in the hell did you learn to hit like that? And then my brother in law says, aw that was beginner's luck, so I said put another ball in the machine and the boys ran over and put two balls in and whir-whir whoop here came another and I blasted it over the bouncy birthday trampoline across the culvert and the creek where my nephew is not allowed to go and then another ball came and I hit that one with a subtle crack and it was gone, gone, gone.

My husband bought me a Derek Jeter ball pitching machine for the yard and I used it all that summer until I got tired of looking for balls in the woods.

And then came the day I went with my friend Sara to the big pond with the dogs and we were throwing tennis balls for the dogs and I threw the balls almost clear across the pond and Sara asked me, Wow, did you ever play softball? And I said God NO, I was pathetic when I was a kid. And she asked me if I wanted to come play on her softball team, just come one night and blow everyone away.

I never went . . . I should have.

Tonight, I cleaned out the fridge and found a bag of oranges that were past their prime  - about 8 or 9 of them. So I took them out on the deck and lobbed them in the woods - about 100 yards away - each throw was better than the last and my arm felt golden.

No comments: